Frequently Asked Questions

1. Going to the United States

Both Immigrant and Non-Immigrant Visa application information is available from our Consular Section. You can bookmark their page for your future reference:

If you still have questions about the visa process after visiting our web site, you may use the contact information of Visas for details.

You can find laws and regulations and other important information from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

If you want to download form for renewing your re-entry permit, you may visit “I-131, Application for Travel Document” of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

If you are going to migrate to the United States and are looking for schools for your kids, you should visit EducationUSA.

See also: The Immigrant Visa Process

2. Custom Information When Entering the United States

3. Tourist Information

You can find a lot of tourist information from VisitTheUSA.con website

You can also obtain tourist information from some state trade offices in Hong Kong

You can get marriage information from these web pages:

Clark County, Nevada

Las Vegas, Nevada



  • Wedding in Guam (information in Chinese) (by Guam Visitors Bureau (GVB) HK Representative)

Marriage License Information


call their state trade offices in Hong Kong for information

4. Trade & Investment

You can find trade and investment figures from at

Related information is also available from our Agriculture Service and Commercial Service pages.

5. Information on Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS)

Interested parties can also review the schedule at the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Hong Kong located at:

18th Floor, Unit B
St. John’s Building
33 Garden Road
Central, Hong Kong
Tel: 2523-3378
Fax: 2524-0020
(Office Hours: Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.; 2:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.)

Please note that the Hong Kong office does not provide binding rulings on merchandise classification. For a binding ruling, please send your written request to Office of Regulations and Rulings or National Commodity Specialist Division.

6. Working for the U.S. Government

Careers – U.S. Department of State

USAJOBS – The Federal Government’s Official Jobs Site

U.S. Military

U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong

Facts and Information:

U.S. Citizens

  • U.S. citizens are authorized to apply for traditional “Foreign Service National” positions and for American part-time, intermittent or temporary (PIT) or Personal Services Contract local hire positions.
  • Current Job Announcements, if any, are posted on this web site with instructions on how to apply along with details on the position and eligibility requirements.
  • To work at the U.S. Consulate General in Hong Kong, a U.S. citizen must already have a work visa or authorization to work in association with spouse’s employment in Hong Kong or official residency in Hong Kong.
  • As a U.S. citizen working for the U.S. Government, an employee is required to pay U.S. taxes. The overseas tax exclusion is not applicable.
  • Most, but not all, Foreign Service National positions require fluency in Cantonese.

Non-U.S. Citizens

Job Announcements for Foreign Service National positions, if any, are posted on this web site with instructions on how to apply along with details of the position description and eligibility requirements.

Submitting application to:
Human Resources Office

See Job Announcements for additional details.

7. Others


Last updated: April 4, 2019