Fulbright Grant Categories

Public Affairs Section

Fulbright Grant Categories

1. Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program

The Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program in Hong Kong is named Fulbright Hong Kong Scholar Program. It is a collaborative program between the U.S. Consulate in Hong Kong and the Research Grant Council (RGC) of the University Grants Committee (UGC) as well as other private partners to support Hong Kong scholars and students to undertake research work in the United States.  The program provides funding to enable distinguished scholars, selected through application and approved by the Foreign Scholarship Board as appointed by the President, to conduct research in the United States. Fulbright exchanges between the U.S. and Hong Kong and Macau are formally administered by the U.S. Consulate in Hong Kong and by the State department in Washington D.C. with administrative assistance from the Hong Kong America Center (HKAC) in respects of the Fulbright program in Hong Kong and Macau on behalf of RGC and the U.S. Consulate.

The HKAC is a charity registered in Hong Kong with an aim to promote educational exchanges between Hong Kong and American universities, and between Chinese and American universities over the bridge of Hong Kong. It works with the U.S. Consulate and the Research Grants Council to assist in administering the Fulbright program in Hong Kong and Macau. It is also a consortium of the eight public universities in Hong Kong. Funding for the Center and its programs come from annual membership fees from its member universities, philanthropic gifts from patrons and private donors, as well as revenue earned from grants and contracts for its programs and services.

For more details about the Fulbright Hong Kong Scholar Program, please visit Fulbright Hong Kong: Hong Kong to U.S.

2. Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program

The Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program sends American scholars and professionals to other countries, where they lecture and/or conduct research in a wide variety of academic and professional fields for up to a year. For more information on coming to Hong Kong and Macau as a Fulbright U.S. Scholar, please visit Core Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program.

3. Fulbright U.S. Student Program

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program provides grants for individually designed study/research projects for up to a year. It is the largest U.S. exchange program offering opportunity for students and young professionals to undertake international graduate study, advanced research and university teaching. The program facilitates cultural exchange through direct interaction with advisers at foreign universities or other institutes of higher education, and through engagement in the community, thereby promoting cultural exchange. For more details about coming to Hong Kong or Macau as a Fulbright student, please visit Fulbright U.S. Student Program.

4. Fulbright Specialist Program

The Fulbright Specialist Program sends U.S. faculty and professionals to serve as expert consultants on curriculum, faculty development, institutional planning and related subjects at overseas academic institutions for a period of 2 to 6 weeks.

5. Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Program

An English Teaching Assistantship (ETA) places a Fulbrighter in a classroom abroad to provide assistance to teachers of English to non-native English-speakers. English Teaching Assistants help teach English language while serving as cultural ambassadors for U.S. culture. For information on applying as ETA in Macau, please visit Fulbright U.S. Student Program – Macau.


Last updated: August 5, 2016