U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong and Macau presents:
American Culture Writing Contest 2020
The U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong and Macau is launching its first American Culture Writing Contest to enhance cultural awareness, encourage cross-cultural understanding, and promote interest in English writing among Hong Kong and Macau students.
• All full-time Hong Kong and Macau secondary school (including international school) students.
Category 1: Secondary 1-3 / Grade 7-9
Category 2: Secondary 4-6 / Grade 10-12
Category 1: Choose a word to describe the United States and explain why you chose that
word. (100-150 words)
Category 2: Please pick a historical American figure and write a message for the people of
Hong Kong and/or Macau in the historical American figure’s voice. (250-300 words)
• Any entry over the word limit or not complying with the specified theme will be disqualified.
• Each student can submit only one entry of original writing.
• The entrant’s full name, age, class, school name, telephone number, and email address should be included in the submission. Submission with missing information will not be entertained.
• All entries must be submitted to the U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong and Macau via online form on or before April 30, 2020.
• The contest is not open to the U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong and Macau staff or their families.
• Entrants retain the copyright of their submitted entries. However, by entering this contest, entrants grant the U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong and Macau the rights to edit, publish and use the entries in any print and online media platforms.
3. Judging Panel
• All eligible entries will be judged based on their connection to the theme, language skills, creativity and originality.
• The final decision will be made by a panel of judges made up of Consulate officials, distinguished writers and professors.
• Results will be announced on the Consulate website and by email in due course. Only winning participants will be notified.
• The U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong and Macau reserves the right to modify the program rules and guidelines without prior notice. Should there be disputes, the U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong and Macau reserves the right of the final decision.
• Each Category will have a winner, first runner-up, second runner-up and 10 honorable mentions.
Winner: iPad Air 256 GB
First runner-up: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 32 GB
Second runner-up: Fujifilm Instax Mini 9 Instant Camera and Film Twin Pack (40 pics)
Honorable mentions: Book vouchers
• All winning participants will be invited to an awards ceremony hosted by the U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong and Macau, to take place tentatively in late June. A certificate of participation will be awarded to each participating student who has fulfilled the contest requirements.
Please contact Ms Adeline Fung, tel: 2841-2258 | email: email@example.com, or Ms Sarina Yuen, tel: 2841-2178 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Public Affairs Section, U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong and Macau.