- Hong Kong Transit Systems
- Tuen Mun
- Tsuen Wan
- Mong Kok
- Wong Tai Sin
- Tai Po
Media report on Monday, August 5 protesters plan a citywide strike which could result in flight cancellations, traffic jams, and commuter disruptions. Services on some MTR lines have been suspended and some MTR stations have closed. Protesters have also called for gatherings in Tuen Mun, Tsuen Wan, Shatin, Admiralty, Mong Kok, Wong Tai Sin, and Tai Po. The Hong Kong International Airport advises passengers to check with their airlines for the latest flight information, and to proceed to the airport only when their seats and flight time have been confirmed.
Over the past two months, protests surrounding proposed changes to the Fugitive Offenders Ordinance and the government’s handling of the ensuing protests have increasingly turned confrontational. The events and confrontations have spilled over into other neighborhoods. There may also be other large gatherings at various locations throughout Hong Kong, including the locations above.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau
+852 2841 2211
+852 2523 9011 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Hong Kong Country Information
- Macau Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter