- Hong Kong
- Hong Kong International Airport
- Hong Kong Transit Systems
On Saturday, August 31, media report the Civil Human Rights Front (CHRF) had planned a rally and march from Chater Garden in Central to the Liaison Office of the Central People’s Government in Sai Ying Pun. The Hong Kong Police, however, did not approve the petition. CHRF officially cancelled the march after permission was denied, but, it is possible that a large gathering in these, or other, areas might still occur.
On Sunday, September 1, media report that protesters have called for an “airport traffic stress test” to hinder transportation around Hong Kong International Airport.
On Monday, September 2, media report that protesters have called for a citywide two-day strike. Student groups have also called for protests at universities and secondary schools.
These protests might disrupt transportation across Hong Kong.
Since June 2019, large scale and smaller political demonstrations have taken place in various areas of Hong Kong, including at Hong Kong International Airport. Most have been peaceful, but some have resulted in violent confrontations between the police and protesters. Police have used a variety of crowd control measures, including the deployment of tear gas, rubber bullets, and water cannons. The protests and confrontations have spilled over into neighborhoods other than those where the police have permitted marches or rallies. These demonstrations, which can take place with little or no notice, are likely to continue.
Actions to Take:.
- Monitor local media and the Hong Kong International Airport website for updates.
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau
+852 2841 2211
+852 2523 9011 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Hong Kong Country Information
- Macau Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter