- Hong Kong
- Hong Kong International Airport
- Hong Kong Transit Systems
- Lennon Walls across Hong Kong
- Yuen Long
- Tuen Mun
- Tsuen Wan
On Saturday, September 21, media report planned protests in Yuen Long and Tuen Mun. There also have been reports of calls for a “Clean Hong Kong” campaign to take down Lennon Walls across Hong Kong, which may result in conflicts between protesters with differing views. Lennon Walls are collections of notes in public spaces with messages encouraging protests against the Hong Kong government.
On Sunday, September 22, media report protesters have also called for an “airport traffic stress test” to hinder transportation around Hong Kong International Airport. There are also reports of a planned protest in Tsuen Wan.
These protests might disrupt transportation across Hong Kong.
Since June 2019, large scale and smaller political demonstrations have taken place in various areas of Hong Kong, including at Hong Kong International Airport. Most have been peaceful, but some have resulted in violent confrontations between the police and protesters. Police have used a variety of crowd control measures, including the deployment of tear gas, rubber bullets, and water cannons. Some protesters have started fires and thrown projectiles at the police. The protests and confrontations have spilled over into neighborhoods other than those where the police have permitted marches or rallies. These demonstrations, which can take place with little or no notice, are likely to continue.
Actions to Take:.
- Monitor local media and the Hong Kong International Airport website for updates.
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau
+852 2841 2211
+852 2523 9011 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Hong Kong Country Information
- Macau Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter