Location: Hong Kong and Macau
Event: Status of Overseas Passport Operations
Because of public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the U.S Department of State began limiting passport operations on March 20, 2020. This change has affected the ability of U.S. embassies and consulates to offer routine passport and citizenship services overseas. As a result, the U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong and Macau has suspended routine passport and citizenship services.
U.S. citizens with urgent travel needs may still apply for a limited validity emergency passport. For emergency passport services, please contact us at ACSHK@state.gov.
If you previously have applied for a passport or citizenship service, you should expect delays receiving your passport or citizenship evidence documents. Please contact us at ACSHK@state.gov to check on the status of your passport or citizenship document, such as a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). If you have not received your CRBA, an emergency passport may still be issued in the event of urgent travel.
We encourage you to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive the latest updates in Hong Kong and Macau, and to visit our website for the latest news on American Citizen Services operations in Hong Kong and Macau.
Please note that the validity of your U.S. passport does not affect your eligibility for U.S. citizen emergency services.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our consulate website on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Hong Kong and Macau.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong and Macau
26 Garden Road, Hong Kong
+852 2523-9011 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Hong Kong Country Information
- Macau Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter