Location: Hong Kong and Macau
Event: The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) urges U.S. citizens to beware of individuals and organizations seeking to exploit the COVID -19 pandemic. These individuals and organizations smuggle and sell counterfeit safety equipment as well as prohibited testing kits, medicines, and hygiene products. They also operate illicit websites to sell their merchandise. DHS expects fraud scams involving financial relief, COVID-19 stimulus checks, and charity solicitations to increase.
These activities compromise legitimate trade and financial systems, threaten the integrity of the U.S. border, and endanger the safety and security of the American people. For more information, please see U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations – Operation Stolen Promise.
Actions to Take:
- Report suspected illicit activity related to COVID-19 by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong and Macau
26 Garden Road, Hong Kong
+852 2523-9011 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Hong Kong Country Information
- Macau Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter