Message for U.S. Citizens: Renew Your Passport by Mail (26 March 2021)

Location: Hong Kong and Macau

Need to renew your passport? U.S. citizens who were previously issued a 10 year passport are encouraged to renew their passport by mail. The U.S. Consulate General in Hong Kong and Macau currently has a significant wait time for passport services. To help us process applications faster, adults renewing their U.S. passport should do so by mail. Mail service is fast and secure.

You may renew your passport by mail if you meet the following criteria:

  • Your most recent passport was issued for a validity of 10 years
  • Your most recent passport was issued within the last 15 years
  • You have your previous passport to submit with the application, and
  • You are not requesting a change in the passport data, other than a name change due to marriage

Mail your DS-82 application, previous passport, payment, supporting documents, and a self-addressed stamped envelope to the following address:

Passport-by-Mail Service
American Citizen Services
U.S. Consulate General
26 Garden Road
Hong Kong

Payment is only possible through a check, bank draft, and money order drawn in U.S. dollars on a bank in the United States. You may purchase this kind of check or money order at most large local banks that have branches in the United States. The address in the lower left of the check should be the address of this U.S. bank branch. Please visit our website here for specific payment information.

For the list of documents needed to submit with your application, visit our website here. Information on purchasing an envelope for the return of your passport may be found here.