Location: Hong Kong
Event: The Hong Kong Government has announced that the United States will be reclassified as a high-risk (Group A) country beginning at midnight on Friday, August 20, 2021. This means that after 11:59 pm on Thursday, August 19, only fully vaccinated residents or citizens of Hong Kong will be allowed to enter Hong Kong from the United States. As of that date and time, non-residents will no longer be permitted to travel to Hong Kong from the United States, although unvaccinated children under 12 years of age may still travel with their parents. In addition, travelers entering Hong Kong from the United States will be subject to a mandatory quarantine requirement of 21 days in a Designated Quarantine Hotel, and it will no longer be possible for travelers to shorten that requirement through antibody serology testing. For more information on the changes, please visit the Hong Kong government website. The list of designated quarantine hotels can be found here (PDF 204 KB).
- If traveling from the United States, we recommend that you conduct your pre-departure COVID-19 test within 48 hours of boarding your flight to Hong Kong.
- There have been cases of vaccinated travelers testing positive upon arrival in Hong Kong. If you test positive for COVID-19 upon returning to Hong Kong, you will be hospitalized and your close contacts may be sent to a Hong Kong government-managed quarantine facility. Quarantine for your close contacts may last anywhere from seven to 21 days.
- If, during your flight to Hong Kong, you are seated near an individual who subsequently tests positive for COVID-19, health officials may consider you to be a close contact and send you to a Hong Kong government-manage quarantine facility.
- Local health officials will implement testing, contact tracing, and quarantine protocols for the places you visited and your close contacts in Hong Kong within the past 21 days if you depart Hong Kong and test positive upon arrival in your new location, or if you return to Hong Kong after less than 21 days abroad and test positive upon arrival.
- U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong and Macau
+852 2523-9011 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Hong Kong Travel Information
- Macau Travel Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter