Disclaimer: The Consulate General urges prospective American citizen adoptive parents to consult with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before identifying or taking custody of a child or otherwise proceeding with any adoption case.

Hello and welcome! The U.S. Consulate General’s Immigrant Visa Unit handles adoption cases for orphans from Hong Kong and Macau. Hong Kong/Macau authorities and American consular officers give each case careful consideration to ensure that parents meet the legal requirements of both countries, for the protection of the prospective adoptive parent(s), the biological parent(s), and the child.

On 1 April 2008, the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption entered into force for the United States. This Convention governs all adoptions between the United States and other countries party to the Convention. American citizen residents of Hong Kong or Macau who are considering adopting a child should first determine if the child’s home country is a party to the Hague Convention. Please see Convention Countries for the list of Hague countries.

Intercountry adoptions can involve a significant amount of paperwork, much of which needs to be submitted to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). American citizens are advised to locate their local USCIS office. For a brief synopsis of the procedures associated with intercountry adoption, please review the State Department’s adoption booklet (PDF 1.85 MB).

Please see Adoption for general information on the USCIS process. Questions about filing I-600/I-600A/I-800/I-800A petitions, home study requirements or other documentation requirements should be directed to the USCIS office. Questions about obtaining an immigrant visa for a child adopted in Hong Kong and Macau should be directed to the Consulate General’s Immigrant Visa Unit.

USCIS Office contact information

Please see contact information of USCIS Office.

Immigrant Visa Unit contact information

E-mail: Please use the Visa Inquiry Form on our website.
Fax: +852-2801-4151
Mail: U.S. Consulate General
26 Garden Road, Hong Kong

American citizens residing in Hong Kong or Macau who need to be fingerprinted for an adoption related service should contact the Immigrant Visa Unit. Fingerprinting services are available by appointment only.  To make an appointment, please contact us by using our Visa Inquiry Form.  In your request, please indicate the date you would prefer and also your contact telephone number.

Fingerprinting service costs US$85 for each person, although any first time fingerprint renewal is free. The fingerprinting fee may be paid by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or Diners Club. All credit card transactions are in U.S. dollars, as if the transaction occurred in the United States) or cash (U.S. dollars or Hong Kong dollar equivalent).

American citizens considering an intercountry adoption are encouraged to review the State Department website. Additional information on adopting in Hague and non-Hague countries may also be obtained by contacting the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues.

If you reside overseas your adopted child will not automatically acquire citizenship at the port of entry. Instead you will be required to file Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate under Section 322, and make an appointment with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Department of Homeland Security. The appointment must take place at a USCIS office inside the United States. After the appointment date is confirmed, you need to apply for a non-immigrant visa for your adopted child in order to attend the N-600K interview. Form N-600K and instructions can be downloaded from the USCIS Web Site: USCIS – Forms. Please read the instructions to see if your child is eligible for an N-600K application.

When your adopted child is found eligible for U.S. citizenship after the interview with USCIS in the United States, your child will be entitled a certificate of U.S. citizenship. You should then go to the nearest Passport Office to apply for a U.S. passport for your adopted child. By regulations, a U.S. citizen should use a U.S. passport when traveling. Information for applications for U.S. passports can be found at: U.S. Passports & International Travel


Last modified: December 5, 2022