Appointment System for American Citizen Services
To make or cancel an appointment, please click this link “ACS Appointment System.”
On arrival in the ACS office, please proceed directly to Window 1 at your appointment time. Please note that FOOD AND DRINK IS NOT PERMITTED INSIDE THE CONSULATE. Other than baby formula, patrons with food and drink will be turned away. Drinking water is available inside the Consulate. Please see full guidance on prohibited items below.
Routine services are available by appointment only Monday-Friday mornings. It is possible to have several services during the same visit to the Consulate. Please make a separate appointment for each individual service. The Consulate is closed during Hong Kong and United States public holidays.
Scheduled appointments are automatically cancelled when an applicant fails to arrive within an hour of the appointed time. Applicants arriving thereafter will be required to make a new appointment via our website. Appointment cannot be made in person.
The American Citizen Services Unit is located on the First Floor of the Consulate, which does not have elevator access from the ground floor. If you are unable to use stairs, please call us at 2841-2211 at least one day before your appointment so that we can arrange for service to be provided on the ground floor.
Those using a wheelchair can enter the Consulate building via a ramp located adjacent to the public entrance on Garden Road. Upon arrival at the Consulate public entrance, please identify yourselves to a guard and request assistance to the ramp.
Visitors may bring small, hand-carry items such as a purse or a small folder containing application documents. Please take note of the prohibited items that will not be allowed into the Consulate and may result in you missing your visa appointment.
Prohibited Items (NOTE: DO NOT bring to the Consulate. The Consulate cannot store these items. Visitors in possession of these items will be turned away from the Consular Section).
- Firearms/Edged weapons;
- Explosive devices;
- Flammable liquids;
- Any food or consumable. Drinking water is available;
- Other weapons/contraband;
- Any bags, such as travel bags, backpacks, suitcases, briefcases, or cloth bags. Applicants can only carry hand bags 12 x 10 x 3 inches (30 x 24 x 7.5 centimeters);
- Computers/accessories, including laptops;
- iPads and other tablet devices;
- Still/video cameras;
- Pocket knife with a blade of less than 2.5 inches;
- Other large electronic or electrical devices
Non-Dangerous Prohibited Items (Can be Retained at the Guard Checkpoint)
- Small electronic devices (cellular telephones, Smart phones, BlackBerry units, PDAs, Bluetooth devices etc.);
- iPods and MP3 players;
- Handheld gaming devices;
- Wearable electronic fitness devices;
- USB/thumb drives;
- Recording devices (includes smart watches and other non-traditional devices);
- Other items deemed contraband by Consulate Regional Security Office
Access to the Consulate is limited and generally only applicants are permitted to enter and be present during interviews. On a case-by-case basis, applicants may be accompanied by ONE non-applicant to assist the applicant during the application process if a special need is demonstrated. Please note: The Consulate has the right to refuse entry to any persons.
- Special Needs Visitors: Applicants may bring one person to assist them if they are over 80 years of age, are a minor child, or are disabled and require assistance to complete the application process.
- Due to waiting room size, the large volume of applicants and the time required to screen consular clients, persons not meeting the criteria above will not be permitted to accompany an applicant. Drivers, friends, and extra relatives, including the relatives of interpreters, must wait outside or return to meet the applicant after the interview has been completed.
Last modified: October 21, 2019