Transmitting Citizenship

Transmission of U.S. citizenship depends on:

  • At least one parent having the nationality of the United States at the time of the child’s birth;
  • The existence of a blood relationship between the child and U.S. citizen parent(s);
  • Documentary evidence demonstrating the U.S. citizen parent(s)’ presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth, as specified in the Transmission Requirements Table (PDF 162 KB).

Examples of Documentation:

Some examples of documentary evidence which may be considered to demonstrate that physical presence requirements have been met may include (but are not limited to):

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Academic transcripts
  • Employment records
  • Rental receipts, apartment leases, utility bills
  • Medical records showing a pattern of immunizations or series of treatments
  • Bank or credit card statements clearly showing point-of-sale transactions or ATM usage at locations in the United States
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with the U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated).
  • U.S. passport stamps can be part of the evidence submitted but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Note that U.S. Immigration does not routinely stamp people out of the United States, making it impossible to calculate the length of each stay from the passport alone.
  • Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence. Nor do property mortgages, insurance policies, etc. that people could have without actually living in the United States.

If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence. Please notify consular personnel of the full names and dates of birth of these children.