Emergency Financial Assistance

U.S. Consular Officers can assist U.S. citizens abroad who are temporarily destitute due to unforeseen circumstances.

U.S. citizens in Hong Kong and Macau who find themselves in these circumstances should contact the U.S. Consulate in Hong Kong. You may also contact the State Department’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services at 1-888-407-4747 (during business hours) or 202-647-5225 (after hours).

Consular officers can help destitute Americans contact family members, banks, or employers to arrange for the transfer of funds. In some cases, these funds can be wired through the Department of State. For information on how a consular officer can help under these circumstances, see Emergency Financial Assistance for US Citizens Abroad.