FAQ Citizenship

Most people born in the United States are U.S. citizens. The only exception being children of foreign diplomats who have full diplomatic immunity. Anyone else can apply for a U.S. passport by presenting an original birth certificate showing birth in the United States and adequate identity documents.

Yes. Naturalization in a foreign country, employment with a foreign government, and/or voting in a foreign election does not automatically jeopardize U.S. citizenship. However, please note that all U.S. citizens, even dual nationals, must enter and depart the United States on U.S. passports.

No. U.S. citizens must enter and leave the United States on valid U.S. passports, even if they hold a passport from another country. If your U.S. passport has been lost or stolen, or if it has expired, you must apply to replace it before traveling to the United States.

Adoption by a U.S. citizen parent does not automatically confer citizenship, but it does qualify a child for expeditious naturalization, or citizenship upon entry into the United States. Please see Child Citizenship Act of 2000 – Sections 320 and 322 of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

U.S. citizenship is for life. No child has to do anything at any age to retain, choose, affirm, or confirm American citizenship.

A U.S. citizen cannot transmit citizenship to a spouse. If your spouse wishes to reside indefinitely in the United States s/he will require an immigrant visa and reside in the United States as a lawful permanent resident (LPR). An application for naturalization can be made to the Department of Homeland Security on fulfilling a residency requirement. Once naturalized, your spouse would be eligible to apply for a U.S. passport.

As each case is different, we recommend that you email for further information and assistance.


Last modified: June 17, 2015