Consumer/Business Disputes in Hong Kong

Consumer Council

If a trader fails to address your concerns after you have inquired with them directly, you may lodge a complaint with the Consumer Council. Some examples of problems the Council may be able to resolve include goods or services not corresponding to their description, delays in delivery or other dissatisfaction with service. You may lodge your complaint in a number of ways. Please see “How to Complain” and “Other Complaint Channels” for more information.

Small Claim Tribunal

The Small Claims Tribunal deals quickly, informally and inexpensively with claims not exceeding HK$50,000. Although the Tribunal is a court, the rules of evidence are less strictly adhered to than in most other courts, and no person can normally be represented by a lawyer.

Other Sources of Assistance

Hong Kong Tourism Board
11/F Citicorp Center
18 Whitfield Road
North Point, Hong Kong
Tel: 2807-6543
Fax: 2806-0303

Hong Kong Government
Trade Mediation & Reserved Commodities Unit
Unit 1218-1222, 12/F, Nan Fung Commercial Centre
19 Lam Lok Street
Kowloon Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Tel: 2707-7832
Fax: 2789-8258

eBRAM International Online Dispute Resolution Centre Limited
Room 403, 4/F, West Wing, Justice Place,
11 Ice House Street,
Central, Hong Kong
Phone: +852 3792 0707
Website: eBRAM International Online Dispute Resolution Centre Limited

Legal Services Providers in Hong Kong and Macau


Last modified: February 24, 2023