Obtaining Permanent Residence in Hong Kong

American Citizens who have lived in Hong Kong for more than seven years are eligible to apply for Permanent Residence in Hong Kong. American Citizens do not need to renounce their U.S. citizenship to obtain Permanent Residence.

American Citizens can apply for Permanent Residence through the Hong Kong Immigration Department.

For further information, please see “Eligibility for the Right of Abode in the HKSAR” on the Hong Kong Immigration Department’s website.


Last modified: November 29, 2016