Adult First Time Passport Applicants

You may apply for your passport by following the instructions on this page if:

  • You are over 16 years of age and/or
  • You just obtained your U.S. Naturalization certificate

You may only apply In Person. Please follow these instructions:

  1. Make an appointment online.
  2. Complete Form DS-11.
  3. Bring your completed form to your appointment. Please ignore the part of the form that instructs you to mail the form to the U.S. If you mail the form to the U.S., your application will be considerably delayed.
  4. Bring your current signed U.S. passport plus a copy of the bio-data and signature pages.
  5. Bring the original and a copy of the applicant’s proof of U.S. Citizenship, either:
    • A U.S. Birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad; or
    • U.S. Naturalization Certificate; or
    • Certificate of Citizenship (issued by USCIS)
  6. Bring the original and a copy of the applicant’s  proof of identity (a government-issued document that contains your picture), for example:
    • Hong Kong ID
    • State Drivers’ License
    • Current Passport (if you have just obtained a U.S. Naturalization Certificate)
  7. One Photo: The photo must be 2″ X 2″ (5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background. Eye glasses are no longer be allowed in U.S. passport photos. For details about the photo requirements, please see Passport Photos.
  8. Passport Fee

    Fees: The fee for a first time adult passport application is U.S. $145 or HK $1,160.

    Payment options are as follows:

    • U.S. or local currency in cash;
      • Please note that the Consulate cannot accept Hong Kong currency in denominations larger than 500 HKD bills (i.e., we do not accept 1000 HKD bills or greater).
      • Please also note that we regret that US $100 banknote series 1990 and also series 1914-1990 are no longer accepted.
    • Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or Diners Club. All credit card transactions are in U.S. dollars, as if the transaction occurred in the United States.
  9. Social Security Card. See also “Social Security Number Requirement” of Frequently Asked Questions.

Processing Time

The passport application will be sent to the United States for printing. You should allow 3 weeks for your application to be processed. If you choose to pick up the new passport in-person or send a third party to the Consulate, you may retain your current passport after your renewal appointment. Your current passport will be cancelled when you come to pick up your new passport at the Consulate. If the current passport can be cancelled at the renewal appointment, you may choose to have the new passport mailed to your Hong Kong or Macau address.


Last modified: March 21, 2019