Adult Passports

ROUTINE Passport Renewal for Applicants Aged 16 And Over

Please read the criteria below. If you qualify for an adult passport renewal using a DS-82 application form, you may renew either in person or by mail. In either case, please complete the passport application form DS-82 (PDF 107 KB).

You may apply for your passport by following the instructions on this page if:

  • Your most recent passport was issued for a validity of 10 years (see the note below for one exception to this requirement); and
  • Your most recent passport was issued within the last 15 years; and
  • You have your previous passport to submit with this application; and
  • You are not requesting a change in the passport data, other than a name change due to marriage or a court order/deed poll.

Please see Lost/Stolen Passports for instructions for replacing a lost/stolen passport.

Please see Correction of Information for instructions on changes of name by means other than marriage or court order/deed poll.

Please see Passports for instructions on all other types of passport renewal..

Note: If you have an emergency limited-validity passport issued at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate outside the United States that is now expired, you may renew your passport using these instructions, provided you meet all the other criteria above. If your emergency passport has not yet expired, please see Replacing an Emergency Passport With a Full-Validity Passport.

In Person Application Requirements

Please make an appointment online and bring the following to your appointment:

  1. Your current U.S. passport, plus a copy of the biodata/signature page.
    • If you have changed your name since your most recent passport was issued less than a year ago, please follow the instructions for Correction of Information on a Passport.
    • If you have changed your name and it has been more than one year since your last passport was issued, use the following instructions:
      • If you changed your name via marriage, bring the original and a copy of the marriage certificate.
      • If you changed your name via deed poll or government court order, please bring the original and a copy of this document and a government-issued ID in that new name.
      • If the original documents are in a language other than English, please bring a certified English translation as well.
  2. A completed form DS-82. If you experience trouble with the online Passport Application Wizard, please download the Form DS-82 (PDF 107 KB) and complete it neatly by hand in blue or black ink. For tips on completing the DS-82, please see Completing Form DS-82.
  3. One Photo: The photo must be 2″ X 2″ (5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background. Eyeglasses are no longer allowed in U.S. passport photos. For details about the photo requirements, please see Passport Photos.
  4. A photocopy of your Social Security Card, if possible. For details about the Social Security Number Requirement, please see Frequently Asked Questions.
  5. A self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of your new passport. Please see below for further information on preparing this envelope in advance of your consulate visit. Note that in-person collection of passports at the consulate will only be permitted under limited circumstances—see below.
  6. Fees: The application fee is US$110 or HK$880.

    Payment options are as follows:

    • U.S. or local currency cash
    • Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or Diners Club. All credit card transactions are in U.S. dollars, as if the transaction occurred in the United States.

    Please note that the Consulate cannot accept Hong Kong currency in denominations larger than $500 bills. Please also note that US $100 banknote series 1990 and also series 1914-1990 are no longer accepted.</p

Mail Application Requirements

Please mail your DS-82 passport application, along with all supporting documents and photo as outlined above. We cannot accept applications sent from China or other countries.

Note that you must submit your most recent passport with your application. It will be cancelled and returned to you with your new passport.

Your envelope should be addressed to:

Passport-by-Mail Service
American Citizen Services
U.S. Consulate General
26 Garden Road
Hong Kong

Please enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of both old and new passports. Please see below for further information on providing this envelope. We can only return passports to addresses in Hong Kong and Macau. Passport requests from applicants living in China or other countries will be returned.

Fees: The application fee is US$110.

The ONLY payment options are the following:

  • A check (certified or cashier’s) made payable to “USDO Symbol 8768”
  • A bank draft made payable to “USDO Symbol 8768”
  • A money order (U.S. Postal, commercial; international, currency exchange) made payable to “USDO Symbol 8768”

Checks, bank drafts and money orders must be drawn in U.S. dollars on a bank in the United States and must have been issued within the last five months. You can purchase this kind of draft, check, or money order at most large local banks that have branches in the United States. The address in the lower left of the check should be the address of this U.S. bank branch. Please take these instructions and the following sample check to the bank for reference. (PDF 201 KB)

Please note that personal checks and cash are not acceptable. If you cannot obtain one of the above payment options, please make an appointment to renew your passport in person at the consulate.

Processing Time

The passport application will be sent to the United States for printing. You should allow 2-3 weeks for your application to be processed. If you will be traveling sooner than that, you should request an emergency one-year passport for immediate travel, which you can replace with a full-validity passport when you return from your trip.

Purchasing an envelope for passport return

Picking up a passport in person in lieu of mail return

In light of security procedures and COVID social distancing measures, which encourage us to have fewer people in our waiting room, our default procedure will always be to cancel your current passport at the time of your interview and mail you back your new passport. We will follow this procedure unless you specifically request otherwise.

If you need to retain your current passport for immediate travel while you are waiting for your renewal to be processed, you may ask consular staff not to cancel it. You must provide information about a specific, upcoming trip to exercise this option. You may not retain your uncancelled passport “just in case.” If we do not cancel your passport, we will provide instructions how you can return in person to pick up the new one, and we will cancel the previous one at that time.

Since we are not able to mail new passports outside of our consular district, people applying for passport renewals who do not have mailing addresses in Hong Kong or Macau will be required to collect new passports in person. If you are supposed to do an in-person pick-up but are unable to do so, you may send a third party to the Consulate to collect the passport for you. Please provide this person with the receipt, the old passport for cancellation, and a signed permission note.

New passports that are not collected within 90 days will, according to regulations, be returned to Washington, DC, and you will have to restart the process, including paying the fee again.


Last modified: Febraury 17, 2021