Correction of Information on Passport

If you need to correct biographical information in a passport issued less than one year ago, you may do so either in person or by mail. In either case, please complete the passport application form DS-5504 (PDF 159 KB).

A correction of biographical information could occur because of an error on our part in processing your passport application, or because you have changed your name for any reason during the first year of your passport’s validity.

In Person Application Requirements

Please make an appointment online and bring the following to your appointment:

  1. Your current, incorrect U.S. passport, plus a copy of the biodata/signature page.
  2. A completed form DS-5504. If you experience trouble with the online Passport Application Wizard, please download the DS-5504 (PDF 159 KB) and complete it neatly by hand in blue or black ink.
  3. One Photo: The photo must be 2″ X 2″ (5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background. Eyeglasses are no longer allowed in U.S. passport photos. For details about the photo requirements, please see Passport Photos. If your incorrect passport was issued less than six months ago, you may use the same photo.
  4. A photocopy of your Social Security Card, if possible. For details about the Social Security Number Requirement, please see Frequently Asked Questions.
  5. A self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of your new passport. Please see below for further information on purchasing this envelope in advance of your consulate visit. Note that in-person collection of passports at the consulate will only be permitted under limited circumstances—see below.
  6. Fees: There is no fee for correcting a passport within the first year.

Mail Application Requirements

Please mail your DS-5504 passport application, along with all supporting documents and photo as outlined above. We cannot accept applications sent from China or other countries.

Note that you must submit your most recent passport with your application. It will be cancelled and returned to you with your new passport.

Your envelope should be addressed to:

Passport-by-Mail Service
American Citizen Services
U.S. Consulate General
26 Garden Road
Hong Kong

Please enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of both old and new passports. Please see below for further information on providing this envelope. We can only return passports to addresses in Hong Kong and Macau. Passport requests from applicants living in China or other countries will be returned.

DS-5504 and Minor Applicants

Please note that two-parent consent does not apply when the DS-5504 form is being used, and the requirement for a child to appear in person, similarly, does not apply. Passport corrections for minors may take place by mail, and only one parent needs to sign the DS-5504 form.

Processing Time

The passport application will be sent to the United States for printing. You should allow 2-3 weeks for your application to be processed. If you will be traveling sooner than that, you should request an emergency one-year passport for immediate travel, which you can replace with a full-validity passport when you return from your trip.

Purchasing an envelope for passport return

Picking up a passport in person in lieu of mail return

In light of security procedures and COVID social distancing measures, which encourage us to have fewer people in our waiting room, our default procedure will always be to cancel your current passport at the time of your interview and mail you back your new passport. We will follow this procedure unless you specifically request otherwise.

If you need to retain your current passport for immediate travel while you are waiting for your renewal to be processed, you may ask consular staff not to cancel it. You must provide information about a specific, upcoming trip to exercise this option. You may not retain your uncancelled passport “just in case.” If we do not cancel your passport, we will provide instructions how you can return in person to pick up the new one, and we will cancel the previous one at that time.

Those bearing passports with incorrect biographical data should not plan travel using their incorrect passport if they have concerns that the error could cause disruption as they pass through immigration in other countries. Those who have incorrect passports AND immediate travel apply in person and request an emergency passport.

Since we are not able to mail new passports outside of our consular district, people applying for passport renewals who do not have mailing addresses in Hong Kong or Macau will be required to collect new passports in person. If you are supposed to do an in-person pick-up but are unable to do so, you may send a third party to the Consulate to collect the passport for you. Please provide this person with the receipt, the old passport for cancellation, and a signed permission note.

New passports that are not collected within 90 days will, according to regulations, be returned to Washington, DC, and you will have to restart the process, including paying the fee again.


Last modified: Febraury 17, 2021