All passport applicants must provide an envelope with sufficient postage to cover delivery from the Consulate in Hong Kong to your home address in either Hong Kong or Macau. Please find directions below to help you choose the appropriate envelope, postage, and shipping method.
Shipping Methods: Hong Kong residents may choose to provide a simple envelope with postage OR an envelope that is trackable. For Macau residents, only trackable options are possible. Please make a note of your tracking number so that you may track your passports yourself.
For delivery from the Consulate to a Hong Kong address:
- Hong Kong Post (852-2921-2222) offers a few trackable options:
- Registered mail
- Local courier post (delivery in one day)
Both options can be purchased at Hong Kong Post counters. Applicants can also pay for registered mail service online at EC-Ship Online and then print their postage label and affix it to an envelope. To do this, you must have an online account with Hong Kong Post. Please remember to check the box `pay on-line’ when you use EC-ship Online. Otherwise your passport will be returned to the Consulate as unpaid.
Hong Kong Post does offer another trackable delivery method – ‘EC-Get’. With this service your passport is mailed to the designated collection point of your choice for pick-up. Designated collection points include post offices or iPostal Stations around Hong Kong.
- You can also use Hong Kong Post without tracking: On a simple envelope with no tracking, please print your own name and address in the center of the envelope and provide appropriate postage (see below).
For delivery from the Consulate to a Macau address:
- Hong Kong Post (852-2921-2222) offers two trackable options:
- Registered mail
- Speed post
Applicants in Macau should pay for registered mail service online at EC-Ship Online and then print their postage label and affix it to an envelope. To do this, you must have an online account with Hong Kong Post. Please remember to check the box `pay on-line’ when you use EC-ship Online. Otherwise your passport will be returned to the Consulate as unpaid.
- DHL or Fedex: To use their services, you must already have an account. Please provide us with your account number.
The U.S. Consulate will accept other mail services if provided complete information.
Consulate staff hands over all Hong Kong post envelopes to Hong Kong Post counters for shipping.
If requested, the sender’s address is:
American Citizen Services
U.S. Consulate General
26 Garden Road
Central, Hong Kong
Postage: Your envelope needs to have sufficient postage to cover delivery from the Consulate in Hong Kong to your home address in either Hong Kong or Macau. If your address is in Hong Kong, then we will be mailing it locally. Mail to Macau is considered international mail. Please round up as necessary to affix the correct level of postage.
When purchasing your trackable envelope, if the weight is requested, please state 200 grams. If affixing postage to an ordinary envelope, please use postage enough for 200 grams. (NB: Note that there may be other enclosures in the envelope beyond the new passport. For instance, if you are renewing an adult passport by mail, there will also be the old passport being returned to you after cancellation.) Affixing insufficient postage causes significant delays. Please see Hong Kong Post Postage Calculator for reference.
If you are applying as a family group, please provide one envelope per person with the appropriate postage according to the information above. This ensures passports can be mailed as we receive them.
Envelope Size: The envelope should be either A5 size (148mm x 210mm) or A4 size (210mm x 297mm).
You do not need to provide an envelope if:
- You will be coming to the Consulate to register the citizenship of a child and you will be applying for the child’s first passport and Social Security number at the same time. In this case, a parent must come in person to pick up the documents and sign the new passport so that we can make the necessary certified copies for the Social Security application.
- You need to retain your current passport for immediate travel, while your renewal is being processed.
- You do not have a mailing address in Hong Kong or Macau.