If your passport has been lost or stolen, go to the nearest Hong Kong Police station to report the incident. Then take the following steps to obtain a new passport:
- Step 1: Please make an appointment online. (If you have travel within 2-3 weeks, please instead write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an arrangement.)
- Step 2: Please read the instructions below.
- Step 3: Please complete the passport application form DS-11 (PDF 193 KB) and the report of lost/stolen passport form DS-64 (PDF 47 KB).
- Complete Form DS-11.
- Complete Form DS-64: Statement Regarding a Lost/Stolen Passport
- To print a blank form and fill it by hand, please download the blank Form DS-64 (PDF 47 KB).
- Bring your completed forms to your appointment. Please ignore the part of the DS-11 that instructs you to mail the form to the U.S. If you do so, your application will be considerably delayed.
- If the replacement passport is for a child, please see Minor Passports for additional requirements.
- Bring proof of U.S. Citizenship (if you have it with you), either:
- A U.S. Birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad; or
- A U.S. Naturalization Certificate; or
- A Certificate of Citizenship
Note: If you have none of these, don’t worry. We will verify your citizenship through passport records.
- Bring proof of Identity (a government-issued document that contains your picture), for example:
- A Hong Kong ID
- A U.S. state Drivers’ License
Note: If you have lost all your identity documents, don’t worry. We will confirm your identity through passport records.
- Bring one photo: The photo must be 2″ X 2″ (5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background. Eyeglasses are no longer allowed in U.S. passport photos. For details about the photo requirements, please see Passport Photos.
- Bring the police report.
- Bring a photocopy of your Social Security Card, if possible. For details about the Social Security Number Requirement, please see Frequently Asked Questions.
- If you do not have travel in the next 2-3 weeks, bring a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of your new passport. Please see below for further information on purchasing this envelope in advance of your consulate visit.
- Fees: The application fee is US$110 or HK$880.
Payment options are as follows:
- U.S. or local currency cash
- Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or Diners Club. All credit card transactions are in U.S. dollars, as if the transaction occurred in the United States.
Please note that the Consulate cannot accept Hong Kong currency in denominations larger than $500 bills. Please also note that US $100 banknote series 1990 and also series 1914-1990 are no longer accepted.
The passport application will be sent to the United States for printing. You should allow 2-3 weeks for your application to be processed. If you will be traveling sooner than that, you should request an emergency one-year passport for immediate travel, which you can replace with a full-validity passport when you conclude your immediate travel.
Last modified: Febraury 17, 2021