Minor Passports

Passports for Children Under Age 16

Please read the instructions and take a look at our video below to begin applying for your child’s passport. All children under age 16 will receive 5-year validity passports.

  1. Make an appointment online.
  2.  A completed form DS-11. To type the form on your computer (recommended), complete the form online and print (https://pptform.state.gov/).
  3. Bring your completed form to your appointment. Please ignore the part of the form that instructs you to mail the form to the U.S. If you mail the form to the U.S., your application will be considerably delayed.
  4. Personal appearance by your child: All children under age 16 must apply in person.
  5. Two-Parent Consent

    All applicants under the age of 16 must meet the requirements listed in the Law on Passport Applications for Minors. In most instances this means that both parents must sign a child’s passport application. Parents can provide consent in one of two ways:

    • Both parents can come to the Consulate with their passports and sign together in person, OR
    • One parent may sign in person and the other parent may give his/her consent through a written affidavit (download the DS-3053 parental consent form) (PDF 128 KB). The form must have been notarized by a notary public or at a U.S. embassy or consulate within the previous three months. The parent who appears in person must present the original, notarized consent form from the other parent along with a copy of the non-appearing parent’s photo ID. If completed at a U.S. embassy or consulate, there is no fee for the DS-3053 notarial service.

    Hong Kong, Macau, and Mainland Chinese notarizations are all acceptable but may be subject to a fraud screening.

    If one of the parents is deceased, please provide that parent’s death certificate. If one of the parents has sole custody, please provide the court order establishing this. If you are unable to locate the other parent or guardian, the parent or guardian who is applying should submit form DS-5525 (PDF 244 KB) in addition to the child’s passport application (DS-11) (download the DS-5525 form).

    See Passport Applications for Minors for more details on the documents needed to comply with the two-parent consent rule.

  6. Proof of parentage
    Parents must prove that they are the correct people to provide consent to passport issuance by providing the original and a photocopy of one of the following documents:

    • A certified U.S. birth certificate (with parents’ names); or
    • A foreign birth certificate (with parent’s names); or
    • A consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240) (with parents’ names); or
    • An adoption decree (with adopting parents’ names); or
    • A court order establishing custody; or
    • A court order establishing guardianship; or
    • Official school or medical records showing both parents’ names.
      If a parent/guardian’s current name is currently different from what is stated on the proof of parentage document, evidence of legal name change (e.g. marriage, divorce, court-ordered name change document) is required.
      See Obtaining Vital Records for information on how to obtain your child’s birth certificate from the U.S.
  7. Proof of U.S. Citizenship
    • If the child has been issued a U.S. passport before, you must bring this passport, plus a photocopy of the biodata and signature page.
    • If the child is receiving his/her first passport, you must bring a document proving U.S. citizenship:
      • a U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad; or
      • a U.S. naturalization certificate; or
      • a certificate of citizenship (issued by USCIS).
        Please bring the original plus a photocopy of the biodata and signature page. See Where to Write for Vital Records to learn how to obtain a copy of your child’s birth certificate. Note that your child’s proof of citizenship and your proof of parentage could be the same document.
  8. One Photo: The photo must be 2″ X 2″ (5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background. Eyeglasses are no longer allowed in U.S. passport photos. For details about the photo requirements, please see Passport Photos.
  9. For details about the Social Security Number Requirement, please see Frequently Asked Questions.
  10. A self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of your new passport. Please see below for further information on purchasing this envelope in advance of your consulate visit. Note that in-person collection of passports at the consulate will only be permitted under limited circumstances—see below.
  11. Fees: The application fee is US$135.

    Payment options are as follows:

    • U.S. or local currency cash
    • Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or Diners Club. All credit card transactions are in U.S. dollars, as if the transaction occurred in the United States.

    Please note that the Consulate cannot accept Hong Kong currency in denominations larger than $500 bills. Please also note that US $100 banknote series 1990 and also series 1914-1990 are no longer accepted.

If you are applying for a passport renewal, you should provide us with an envelope so that we can mail you your new passport once we receive it from the printing center in the United States. It needs to have postage to cover delivery from the Consulate in Hong Kong to your home address in either Hong Kong or Macau. To learn more, see our purchasing an envelope for passport return page.

In light of security procedures and COVID social distancing measures, which encourage us to have fewer people in our waiting room, our default procedure will always be to cancel your current passport at the time of your interview and mail you back your new passport. We will follow this procedure unless you specifically request otherwise.

If you need to retain your current passport for immediate travel while you are waiting for your renewal to be processed, you may ask consular staff not to cancel it. You must provide information about a specific, upcoming trip to exercise this option. You may not retain your uncancelled passport “just in case.” If we do not cancel your passport, we will provide instructions how you can return in person to pick up the new one.

Since we are not able to mail new passports outside of our consular district, people applying for passport renewals who do not have mailing addresses in Hong Kong or Macau will be required to collect new passports in person. If you are supposed to do an in-person pick-up but are unable to do so, you may send a third party to the Consulate to collect the passport for you. Please provide this person with the receipt, the old passport for cancellation, and a signed permission note.

New passports that are not collected within 90 days will, according to regulations, be returned to Washington, DC, and you will have to restart the process, including paying the fee again.


Last modified: April 6, 2023