Second passports may be issued in certain cases where an individual travels so frequently that a traveler needs one passport for travel and one for simultaneous foreign visa applications or in cases where one foreign country will deny a visa or entry to the bearer of a passport containing markings showing travel to certain other countries. Common applicants for a second passport are flight crew, frequent business travelers, and journalists.
Second passports cannot be issued simply for the convenience of a traveler, for illegal purposes, for concealing previous trips, for perpetrating fraud, or for avoiding compliance with fiscal or other regulations. Please note that a previous second passport issuance does not guarantee a replacement second passport: you must demonstrate the need for one each time.
A second passport is valid for four years.
To apply for a second passport, you will need to make an appointment and submit the following documents in person:
- A completed DS-82 application form (PDF 107 KB)
- Your current valid passport (for first time applicants) or your previous second passport (for those renewing the second passport)
- A written and signed request (original copy) from your company or organization, preferably on company letterhead, explaining why a second passport is needed
- An affidavit (download and print) (PDF 42 KB), which is to be signed in the presence of the Consular Officer, explaining why you need a second passport;
- One Photo: The photo must be 2″ X 2″ (5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background. Eyeglasses are no longer allowed in U.S. passport photos. For details about the photo requirements, please see Passport Photos.
- A photocopy of your Social Security Card, if possible. For details about the Social Security Number Requirement, please see Frequently Asked Questions.
- A self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of your new passport. Please see below for further information on purchasing this envelope in advance of your consulate visit. Note that in-person collection of passports at the consulate will only be permitted under limited circumstances—see below.
- See our Consular Fees page for the appropriate passport service fee. Fees can be paid in cash, local currency or U.S. dollars, or by credit card. When paying in cash, please try to bring exact change.
The passport application will be sent to the United States for printing. You should allow 2-3 weeks for your application to be processed.
Last modified: Febraury 17, 2021