Immigrant Visas: Fiancé(e) Visa

The fiancé(e) K-1 nonimmigrant visa is for the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen. The K-1 visa permits the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) to travel to the United States and marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival. You can learn more about fiancé(e) visas on and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).


Fiancé(e) Visas to the United States

The visa classification K-1 applies to aliens proceeding to the United States to marry American citizens.

  • The couple must have met in-person within two years immediately prior to the filing on the petition.
  • The U.S. citizen Fiancé(e) must file an I-129F Petition with the USCIS in the U.S.
  • If the I-129F is approved, and the visa issued, they must marry within 90 days of the alien’s admission to the United States.

Following the marriage, the alien spouse must apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) to establish a record of entry for conditional permanent residence status. After two years, the alien must apply to the USCIS for removal of the conditional status.