Immigrant Visas: Document Checklist

Immigrant Visas: Related Information on Applying for an Immigrant Visa

Document Checklist for Immigrant & K Visa Applicants

Please bring all applicable documents (originals plus copies if noted) on this checklist. Visas are often approved the same day for applicants who are prepared with these documents. Visas will not be approved until applicants submit all required documents.

  1. All applicants for immigrant or fiancé(e) visas must pay the appropriate application fee. The fees charged depend on the type of visa. Please see Fees for Visa Services for a complete list of fees. Applicants who have paid the immigrant fees to NVC are not required to pay additional fees unless only a partial amount was paid. Anyone subject to a balance of fees payment will be informed during the interview. Fees are payable in U.S. dollars or Hong Kong dollars (HKD) at the Consulate’s exchange rate on the day of the applicant’s interview. Payments may be made in cash in U.S. dollars, Hong Kong dollars or credit/debit card (the Consulate accepts Visa, Master Card, American Express, Diners Club and Discover). Personal checks are not accepted. A combination of U.S. dollars and Hong Kong dollars will not be accepted.

    Applicants for fiancé (K) visas and their accompanying children can pay the non-refundable visa application fee online with a credit card or debit card; or at any 7-11 stores in Hong Kong. Applicants must first create their profile at Apply for a U.S. Visa or through the Consulate call center (+ 852 5808 4666). Applicants should be sure to identify themselves as a fiancé (K) visa applicant. If applicants opt to pay in cash at a 7-11 store, applicants must get a proper pay statement which can be obtained from the created profile. The pay statement then can be taken to any 7-11 stores in Hong Kong for payment. Once paid, the applicant will receive a receipt which must be brought to the Consulate on the day of the interview. Please see Bank and Payment Options/Pay My Visa Fee for details.

  2. Travel documents, i.e. passports valid for six months beyond the intended date of entry into the United States and copies of the biographic data pages; AND any previous travel documents with expired and/or current U.S. visas in them.
  3. Identity cards for Hong Kong, Macau and/or your place of residence and photocopies of each card.
  4. Two visa photographs (please see Photo Requirements; write your name in block letters on the back of photos).
  5. Immigrant visa applicants require an Affidavit of Support (Form I-864) with sponsors’ federal income tax return that was current when the I-864 was signed if the affidavit of support has not been submitted to the National Visa Center. K visa applicants should provide proof of self-supporting in the U.S. or a job offer for you or a letter from the petitioner’s employer. Form I-134 (not Form I-864) executed by the petitioner and his/her federal income tax returns for the most recent tax year may be required when the consular officer deems useful.
  6. Police certificates from your country of residence for the past 6 months and from other countries in which you have lived for more than 12 months after age 16.
  7. Certificates of trial, brief facts of case and/or court transcripts if you were ever convicted of a crime.
  8. Medical examination
  9. Birth, Adoption, and Marriage Certificates:  the original and one copy of each.  Birth certificates are required for all applicants, as well as for the petitioners in IR-5 and F-4 cases.  Adoption certificates are required for any applicant who is adopted.  Marriage certificates are required in all cases where this document is necessary to show an applicant’s entitlement to the immigrant visa.
  10. Divorce or Death Certificates of spouse and copies (petitioner, applicant and derivative spouse who have been previously married must obtain legal proof of termination of each prior marriage if the immigration is based on marriage).
  11. Child Custody Orders and copies
  12. Family-based cases: Evidence of relationship between the principal applicant and petitioner, as well as between the principal applicant and all beneficiaries
  13. Employment-based and Diversity Visa cases: Evidence to show the education and/or work experience required for employment-based and diversity (lottery) visas. Employment-based applicants need a recent notarized job offer from the U.S. prospective employer stating the position and salary.
  14. Documents not in English should be translated into English and accompanied by a signed statement from the translator stating that the translator is proficient in both languages.
  15. Civil documents including birth, adoption, death, marriage, divorce, marriage termination and annulment originated from the Philippines must be issued by the National Statistics Office on official security paper.