Immigrant Visas: Unobtainable Birth Certificates

Immigrant Visas: Related Information on Applying for an Immigrant Visa

Unobtainable Birth Certificates

Applicants who cannot obtain a birth record should request a certified statement from the appropriate government authority stating the reason why the birth record is not available. Applicants may then submit this certified statement along with secondary evidence of their birth. For applicants who reside in Hong Kong, the Certificate of Registered Particulars issued by the Hong Kong Immigrant Department, is accepted in lieu of an unobtainable birth certificate. A similar document can be obtained from the Identification Services Bureau (Direcção dos Serviços de Identificação) of Macau SAR.