Green Card Abandonment (Abandoning Legal Permanent Resident Status)

If you are a lawful permanent resident (LPR) and have remained abroad for more than 12 months without a re-entry permit, it is possible that your status has lapsed.

  • If you wish to return to the U.S. as an immigrant, please visit our returning resident page.
  • If you have decided to voluntarily abandon your status as a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States and relinquish your green card, please print and complete Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status.

The U.S. Consulate General in Hong Kong and Macau no longer accepts local filings of Form I-407. You may submit Form I-407 in person or by mail to a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) international field office. USCIS Bangkok is the most appropriate field office from Hong Kong – please review the USCIS Bangkok website for further instructions. There is no USCIS office in Hong Kong, so please do not mail the submission to the U.S. Consulate General in Hong Kong and Macau. Furthermore, please do not mail the submission to the USCIS offices in China.

Submissions in Person:

  • You may submit Form I-407 in person to the USCIS field office in Bangkok, or in China if you are physically residing in China. We recommend contacting international field offices before making an in-person submission. For additional information, including how to make an appointment, please review the USCIS website: International Immigration Offices

If you are qualified for the Visa Waiver Program, you may be required to wait for 4-6 weeks after completing the I-407 form before registering for Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) authorization via the ESTA Application website. When you travel to the United States, you should take a copy of the processed I-407 form with you to the airport. Although the port of entry inspector will see electronically that you have abandoned your status, the processed I-407 form is mainly for the airlines. If you do not have a copy of the processed I-407 form and your passport shows that you have previously been admitted as a ‘LPR’ (Lawful permanent resident) or “ARC” (Alien Resident Card), the airlines may not allow you to board the aircraft.

Abandoning your Permanent Resident Card/green card and status does not affect your ability to apply to immigrate to the United States in the future.  However, you will have to follow a new USCIS petition and visa application process.

IMPORTANT: Parental consent is required for those filing a Form I-407 on behalf of their minor child.

If a minor is 17 or younger, each parent, custodian, or legal guardian must sign the form and consent to the submission of the form. The relationship and identity of the persons signing for the minor should be clear and certain. If there is only one parent, guardian, or custodian, proof (e.g., a death certificate, custody decree, or guardianship papers) must be submitted demonstrating that this person is indeed the sole decision maker for the child, and Form I-407 must be completed accordingly (in Part 1, item 14.d).  They must have sole legal custody in order to file Form I-407.


Last modified: February 8, 2019