Frequently Asked Questions

Replacing Green Cards

No. An LPR card (Green Card) can only be re-issued by filing Form I-90 with USCIS while you are in LPR status in the United States.

If your permanent resident Green Card has expired and you have been outside of the U.S. for less than 364 days without a Permit to Reenter the U.S., please contact the U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong (Address: 26 Garden Road, Central) with public hours on Tuesdays from 2 – 4pm. Kindly send us an email using the Visa Inquiry Form if you need urgent assistance outside of our public hours.

If you have your receipt number, you should contact the USCIS case status service online or call the National Customer Service Center (NCSC).

First, you are required to report the loss of your Green Card to the local police authorities. You may then appear at the Consulate General to apply for a boarding foil if you have been outside of the U.S. for less than 364 days without a Permit to Reenter the U.S. For information on boarding foil, see Applying for a boarding foil.

An I-131A fee will only be refunded in the event of U.S. government error. USCIS will not process a refund if an applicant later determines that a LPR boarding foil was unnecessary. Please contact the relevant USCIS Field Office for more information.

To enter the U.S., a LPR may present at least one of the following items in place of a boarding foil:

  1. An expired Permanent Resident Card with a 10-year expiration date; or
  2. An expired Permanent Resident Card (with a two-year validity), and a Form I-797, Notice of Action, indicating that status is extended; or
  3. Orders from the U.S. government (civilian or military) showing that time outside the U.S. was on official government business.

These individuals should consult their air carrier prior to completion of an I-131A and payment of the fee.

You should have someone send it from the United States.


No. Individuals residing in Hong Kong or Macau who seek fingerprinting for other USCIS services (such as re-entry permits) should either attend their biometric appointment in the United States or contact the USCIS office for more information.

Maintaining Permanent Resident Status

If you plan to be outside of the United States for more than 12 months, you should apply for a re-entry permit before leaving the United States. You will be required to file Form I-131, Application for a Travel Document/Re-entry Permit with USCIS before you depart the U.S. A re-entry permit is normally valid for up to 2 years and shows that you are returning from a temporary visit abroad. You will be required to show the re-entry permit at the port of entry when you enter the United States.

If you did not apply for a re-entry permit before leaving the United States and have been overseas for more than 12 months, it is possible that your LPR status has lapsed. You may need to undergo the entire immigrant visa process anew. See Returning Resident (SB-1).

Form I-131 can only be filed in the United States with USCIS.

Change of Address


Last modified: April 1, 2022